Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Chorizo and Chickpea Stew

Hello everyone! I hope the weather isn't getting in the way of crisp walks or Halloween parties that are going on. It's rather wet down South at the moment!

I'm very excited to share today's recipe with you all. Since stumbling upon this about a year ago on one of my most favorite foodie blogs it has been almost a weekly appearer. Chorizo and chickpeas are two of my most favoured ingredients, so combining the two and throwing in a whole load of veggies for good measure seemed like a bloomin' good idea to me! If I were to describe this recipe in 3 words it would be chunky, warming and delicious. 

It has become a thing that my house and our neighbours take it in turns to cook for each other on Sunday nights. We worked out that between the 9 of us, we hail from 6 different countries! It's like a UN of food. 

When I was deciding what to cook for my night I needed something relatively inexpensive, something that could be made in bulk, and that most people would probably like. This recipe came to mind immediately! 

Serves 6
1 large chorizo sausage 
3 red onions
2 red peppers
3 garlic cloves
2x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
2x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained 
800ml vegetable stock
A pinch of paprika 
A generous sprinkling of basil
Salt and pepper

1. In a large saucepan, fry the chorizo on a medium heat until it begins to release it's oil and crisp

2. Add the onion, peppers and garlic.

3. Cook until the onion turns translucent. Then add the paprika. Stir occasionally


 4. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the stock and bring to the boil.

5. Add the chickpeas, basil, salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.


Serve those hungry guests! 


This stew is winning no beauty contests, but it hits the flavour spot head on! It was hot off the hob and very very steamy, as you can see! I served it with plenty of warm crusty bread for dipping, and extra basil sprinkled on top. I always try my best to get fresh basil as it takes this bowl of loveliness to the next level, but if you can't get your hands on any dried herbs will do just fine. My lovely neighbour Jane bought over a couple of bottles of wine unexpectedly, too! What a lovely little treat. (We might have finished them off between us..!)

Now I know that chorizo isn't the cheapest of ingredients, so might seem unfitting for most student budgets. However, I assure you that a little goes a very long way, and it really is very tasty. It perks up any boring dish and is more often than not on offer in the supermarket. 

Everybody was asking what the delicious sausagey stuff was. I am more than happy to have let chorizo in to some more peoples' lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment