Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Jammy Bakewell Cake


Baking is a balancing act, measurement-wise and flavour-wise. It's very easy to go wrong, so I don't often freestyle it up when I'm getting my bake on. Not often enough as it seems, as this little loaf cake turned out absolutely perfectly! This tasty treat is actually a creation of my very own. I'm rather impressed with my invention skills. If you're a fan if the Mr. Kipling Bakewell Slices then this is the cake for you. It's jammy, almondy and just a little bit more-ish. 

We're at that late point in the uni term where we're trying to use up all the bits and bobs kicking about in the cupboard and the fridge (and the freezer come to think of it, we'd best get eating!!), and this cake is a lovely surprise byproduct of this effort.

My housemate is also a keen baker and had almond essence and half a bag of ground almonds to be used. My lovely Mum had brought me a jar of homemade Apple and Blackberry jam when she came to visit me last month, which I hadn't really made a dent in... It just made sense to combine the two in my experiment! 


My weapons of choice.

I followed a classic sponge recipe but then went off piste. I made a note of what I added so I can recreate this lovely little treat, and I want to share it with you today!

Ingredients

225g/8oz Unsalted Butter/Stork
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
2 eggs
225g/8oz Self-Raising Flour
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
100g/3.5oz Ground Almonds
100g Jam
Splash of milk

Method (Takes about 60 mins)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/gas 5. Line a 8 x 21cm/9 x 5 inch loaf tin with grease proof paper. Cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon. 

2. Add the eggs one at a time, with a little flour. Add the almond extract and beat thoroughly. 

3. Stir in the rest of the flour. Add the ground almonds and a splash of milk to loosen the mixture. Beat together until completely combined. 


4. Spoon half the mixture in to the loaf tin. Then generously spoon jam on top with a teaspoon. Don't be shy, you want a nice jammy, juicy middle when you bite in to the cake. I used Blackberry and Apple Jam, but I imagine raspberry would be delicious too.


5. Spoon the remaining mixture on to the jam, and level off the top. 


6. Pop in to the oven and bake for 45 mins (or until you insert a skewer and it comes out clean).


I love that when you cut in to this you can see the all the lovely jam inside, it looks so inviting! Deliciousness guaranteed. Enjoy warm with fiends and a nice cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment