Thursday, 2 January 2014

Mediterranean Omlette

Happy New Year!!! I hope that you all saw the new year in in style. I went down to Cambridge to visit my best friends from my Birmingham university days. We drank and danced and party popped our way in to 2014 in the stylish club Kuda. An expensive night, but we pre-drank like pros, which was my favourite part - I played twister for the first time since I was about 12! Anyway it was brilliant, and again I drank lots and indulged in just about anything and everything that was offered to me. Not good if you keep that stuff up for 2 weeks straight! (I did). 

And that's where this post fits right in. At this time of year we've all had our fill of, well, pretty much everything. All that Christmas food and drink can take its toll!

You might have made a New Years resolution to get in shape or lose a bit of weight. Or if you're like me you might just want to get back to healthier eating and give your body a break from all the mince pies! Guilty as charged.

My Mum and I were trying to decide what to make for tea and came up with the idea of making a big omlette, with the help of our 5 chickens who kindly provided us with the eggs. 

Mum's in training for her first half marathon and I want to feel healthier in myself, so we wanted to come up with a few healthy but tasty teas for our family. Here's the first offering! It was an experiment, the beauty is that anything can go in an omlette pretty much, so you can mix it up  to suit you. The recipe!:

Ingredients (Serves 6)

8 large eggs
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
2 onions
Handful of olives
Handful of parsley
1 tablespoon of oil 


Method (Takes 35 mins)

1. Pre-heat your oven to 200c. Chop your peppers and onions and pop on a baking tray. Add a tablespoon of oil and bake for 15 mins.



2. Take a large bowl, crack your eggs in and whisk. Add your olives and parsley and season with salt and pepper.


4. Pour your mixture in to a large casserole dish and bake for 15 mins. 


And serve! 


Simple, delicious and more importantly really good for you.

Depending on how hungry you're feeling you can have it with chips and or salad. We made spicy potatoes by chopping up 5 potatoes and par-boiling. Pop them on a baking tray with a tablespoon of oil and a shake of season-all seasoning, and roast for 20 mins. They're really good!

For the salad we used iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, radishes and parsley. But just stick in whatever you like! 

Here's to a happy and healthy 2014 everyone, I hope that it gets off to a good start whatever you are up to! I will keep you up to date with my activities as I prepare for Paris. Less than two weeks to go now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment