Saturday, 18 January 2014

Salut Paris!

So I've done it, I've finally made the big move to Paris! Bright and early on Tuesday morning I set off on the train to London St Pancras, then my friend Livvy and I caught the Eurostar to the Gare du Nord. It was a little bit scary and great deal exhausting (I have 2 huge bruises on my calves, thank you very much hold-all) but we arrived safe and sound and on time!

I don't think I'm alone in saying it's always a culture shock when I touch down in a new country. Weigh-laid with kilos of bags in mass, Livvy and I pulled and tugged our suitcases across the busiest road I've seen in a long while to a little cafe, where we were to meet our new landlord. Of course we forgot to look left instead of right and nearly got squashed in the first 15 minutes. After taking 5 to catch our breath we met our lovely landlord who showed us to our beautiful little flat in the Marais district; he lugged a pile of our luggage the whole way there, and then up the 3 flights of stairs to our flat, bless him! Definitely the star of the day.

Just off the Rue de Saint Martin Faubourg, the flat is hidden away between a cheesemakers, a supermarket, a hairdressers and a greengrocers. I was surprised when our landlord stopped an begin to beep in the door code. You'd never even know it was there unless you were told. I feel very safe, and the Marais is a lovely district to live in and I'd highly recommend it if you're planing a trip to Paris. It took me 25 minutes to walk to the Notre Dame today.
So without further ado, allow me to show you through the courtyard and around our temporary Marais flat in the 3rd arondissement! 




How very Parisian is this bicycle?!








Our landlord is a writer so there are lots and lots of books and films here, much to mine and Livvy's delight. It's the perfect place for Literature students, and definitely meets our expectations of how a gorgeous traditional little Parisian flat should be! The building is very old but we are nice and high up so we don't get any noise. 

Sadly we are only here for 11 days, and even sadder still, Livvy and I won't be able to live together afterwards. I will be moving just north of here in to my own little apartment. But I will be just up the road, so not very far away from the lovely surroundings and excellent boulangeries here. Plus, the two of us are already planning a trip to a flea market together to pretty up our permanent rooms when we move in. 

My essays are finally getting submitted this week (mark my words!!) so the two of us are doing a proper recky of the Marais early on this week, before we move away and before uni work starts to mount up again. I will be taking my camera for blogging ops so keep watching for that. 

Au revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment