Thursday, 27 March 2014

The Love Wall

I've got a lot of love for the Love Wall. This morning my boyfriend Jules and I decided to take a pre-uni and pre-work jaunt up to Montmartre to the Place des Abbesses, where the wall stands in a little green courtyard park. 

I'd spotted it for the first time by utter chance on Instagram a few weeks back, and thought it would be a lovely place to come together on a sunny morning just like this one. Our last trip together was at the weekend, when he took me on a tour around the Stade de France, which was flipping fantastic, complete with backstage and changing room access and coming out of the tunnel on to the pitch to music! Today it was my turn to choose though, so I picked a much more girly option. 


Conceived by artists Frederic Baron and Claire Kito, 'Le Mur des Je t'aime' is made up of 612 squares of enamelled lava and covers a surface area of 40 metres squared. The wall features the words 'I love you' 311 times in 250 different languages. 



It's pretty, it's located in relaxing surroundings, and it's a beautiful monument to love (in the city of love). It's one stop North of Pigalle Metro station (where the Moulin Rouge is at) yet the style of the Place des Abbesses could not be more different. If you are in the area you must take a little trip up here - it's a little oasis of calm in a nook of old-school Montmartre.


We arrived just at the right time before an army of school children descended upon us, flocking around the wall with clipboards and and coloured pencils, so at this point we decided to retreat for brunch. 

If you've heard of the Love Wall and haven't already been, I hope you have factored it in to your itinerary for your next Parisian break. And if you hadn't heard of it I'm very happy to have been the one to point it out to you! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just started my blog about living in Paris and would love to have a chat about if there is anything we can do together and blog about. Is there anywhere I can reach you, through facebook, gmail, etc? Let me know! Manuela :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :) ah that's brilliant, I've just had a look and it looks great! I'd absolutely love to have a chat. How about you email me on my gmail account? It's jennydoraexplores@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Wonderful! I sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you :)

      Delete
  2. This looks so lovely. I really want to visit Paris soon and this will positively have to go on the list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Fantastic :) not many people know about it either really I felt like I'd unearthed a little Parisian gem x

      Delete