Friday, 18 April 2014

Homemade Fishcakes


I have a bit of an obsession with recipe books. I love reading them to get new ideas and my collection seems to be ever expanding. I just can't help myself you see, because I'm always on the lookout for new healthy and tasty recipes to try. And you can't get much healthier or tastier than these Homemade Cod Fishcakes. 

Light, fluffly, and packed with all sorts of things that are really good for you, these Fishcakes only take half an hour to make so they are the perfect thing to make for a healthy weeknight tea. They got top reviews from my family and I have a feeling that these might become one of my signature dishes. So here's how I make your own Homemade Fishcakes:

Ingredients (Serves 4)

450g skinned cod fillet
- 2 bay leaves
- 200ml milk
- 450g Maris Piper potatoes
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- A few fresh chives, snipped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 120g white breadcrumbs

Method

1. Place cod in to a large saucepan, pour over the milk and throw in bay leaves. Cover, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. Take off the heat and leave the pan on the side, covered, for 10 mins to gently finish cooking the fish.

2. Meanwhile, peel and chop the potatoes into even-sized chunks. Put them in a saucepan and just cover with boiling water. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 10 mins or until tender. Then drain in a colander.


3. Tip the potatoes back in to the pan. Pick out and discard the bay leaves from your fish pan. Pour the milk you used to cook the fish in into the pan, add the parsley, chives, lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.

 
Mash well.


4. Gently tip the fish in to the mash mixture and use a fork to break it up very slightly, but be careful not to overdo it!

5. Beat the egg on a large plate and put the breadcrumbs on another plate.(A top tip for you is I you don't have any old white bread to blitz, grate a couple of slices of frozen bread!) Carefully shape your Fishcakes, about 2.5cm thick. One by one, dip each cake in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. They should look something like this.


6. Fry your cakes in olive oil for 5 minutes each side, or if you are being healthy like me, bake on a baking tray for 15 minutes at 220c. Serve immediately with your
choice of steamed veggies - I like tenderstem broccoli!


The choice of condiments is never-ending for these Fishcakes as they're good with pretty much everything: tartare sauce, salad cream, mayo, or my favourite a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce! I'll leave this bit up to you though! You'll never want to buy shop-bought Fishcakes again.



2 comments:

  1. These look so good - I can never have enough recipe books, I have a lot of vintage ones - I find them so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so addictive aren't they! I think they look lovely propped up while your busy cooking

      Delete