Saturday, 5 April 2014

L'Ardoise

Last night was an evening of tasty food, lovely surroundings and excellent company. 

It's my last night in Paris tonight and at the moment I'm wedged on the sofa between two mountainous piles of clothes, most of which I didn't actually need to bring as it turns out, but all of which I will have to haul through town to the Eurostar port tomorrow. 

My Parisian adventure has been amazing, but it hasn't been all plain sailing. Studying abroad where you can't always understand the language is hard but it's made even harder when you have to go without any accommodation secured when you set off, which is exactly why I had to do. It was crazy, it was the most stressful thing I've done, but I couldn't have done it without the guidance I got from back home, or the support of this one. 


Thank goodness Jules has been here throughout my stay because I genuinely don't think I would have been able to do it without his help, so if your reading this Julian, thank you again!

We decided to make our final date night in Paris a special one, so we headed out
for food with a little trip to the Pont des Arts on the way (I flipping love that bridge).


We came to L'Ardoise for the first time on Valentine's Day and it was epic so we chose this as our farewell Paris meal. It's cosy and dimly lit, not too busy inside, and there's a florist across the street so there's been fresh flowers on the tables both times we've eaten here. Red roses on Valentine's Day, daffodils this time round. They looked so cheerful and springlike and smelled lovely.


Jules had the chicken burger last time and let me try some of his garlic frites, which were some of the best chips I've tasted. He also let me try some of the special sauce... And hooooly moly, I am not exaggerating when I say that that sauce is the most delectable thing I've tasted oozing on top of a burger in all my years. I was happy with my choice but I confess I did have just a teeny bit of food envy... I knew I needed to come back to try the sauce for myself! (And the garlic chips too, of course). 

We both went for the eponymous 'L'Ardoise Burger', a big juicy man burger made of minced steak, best done medium rare in my opinion. They didn't have the chicken burger on the menu this time, but if you're listening L'Ardoise, I have it on good authority that it was the bomb so you should bring it back!

The food arrived in very good time. Here's me with mine so you can get an idea I the size of the thing. It's huuuuuge! 


You know you've got a beast of a burger when it has to be speared with a stick to keep it in place.


I checked to see how mine was cooked and it was absolutely perfect with a little pink middle. The chips were divine (and there were plenty of them!) but the star once again was the special sauce. After much deliberation about what the secret sauce is made of, we figured out it must be numerous types of glorious mystery cheeses and cream, all melted down. Oh and a little bit of heaven in there too. Sadly the recipe is top secret though so there's no way to know for sure or to recreate it at home, if you have a degree to study for that is, which I do. If you're in the area and are in need of a bloomin' good burger you NEED to try it is what I'm saying. 

One word of warning though, it's probably not the best idea to get this on a first date; tackling this beastly burger gets a bit messy and we reverted to knives and forks pretty quickly! It'd be great to come here with friends or family I reckon, or anyone you don't mind getting a bit messy with. The sauce is delicious but it's unpredictable! 

So au revoir for now, Paris. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect end to a great semester here in France's capital. 


No comments:

Post a Comment