Friday, 11 April 2014

Tomato, Basil and Garlic Bruschetta


I have a feeling that this may well be my first recipe post since I did my Baked Camembert recipe at the beginning of the year! I absolutely love bruschetta for loads of reasons: it's tasty, it's quick, costs peanuts to make, and it always gets huge praise from my family when I make it. 

It's great being back at my family home because I have all sorts of gadgets to play with and lots of willing taste testers to feed my creations to! Bruschetta is a great thing to serve as a starter or as an accompaniment to a main meal, and tonight we had it alongside a big salad with ham, olives, cheese, and all sorts of sides. I like to think of these little toasts as posh, healthy mini pizzas. 

This is adapted from a Jamie recipe, but with the addition of fresh garlic and onion seeing as I had them on hand. Jamie says that there are no rules for bruschetta toppings but for the best results you should always endeavour to use the freshest of ingredients. 

I'm not sure how many individual bruschetta toasts this recipe makes (I didn't have time to count because there were hungry diners at the table!) but it makes exactly one large chopping board full and serves 4 very hungry adults. So here's how to make it!

Ingredients

5 medium ripe tomatoes
1 onion
4 garlic cloves
Handful fresh basil
Glug of olive oil
1 French baguette
Salt and pepper

Method 

1. Finely dice the onion and garlic. Drizzle on a little oil in to a small saucepan and sautée until softened


2. Finely dice your tomatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add your onion and garlic to the bowl. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and season 



3. Slice your baguette and toast. Arrange on a chopping board and top each with a spoonful of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle on a little chopped basil and serve immediately!


The taste of fresh tomatoes and basil remind me of warm summer evenings and I have a feeling I will be making this more and more as this year goes on!

This makes for great party food and you can make the tomato mixture in advance in bulk for this, but my advice would be not to toast and top your bread until you're ready to eat it otherwise it will go soggy. 

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment