Saturday, 24 May 2014

Quesadillas


My perfect lunch would be something quick, healthy, inexpensive and most importantly tasty. This is the meal I often find myself getting in a bit of a rut over, before I know it I've eaten the same sandwich, salad of soup for 4 days in a row and I'm so bored of it. Anything beginning with 's' it seems! 

At the moment I'm writing my dissertation so I'm spending a lot of time at my uni house in the day. It's hard work but it means I can take my time a bit more and experiment with my lunches and have some warm food. I bought a pack of wraps for a change, which are great because they tend to last a little bit longer than standard bread loaves. 

I had a little think and remembered an amazing quesadilla recipe I had spotted on Jamie Oliver's website not too long ago. I adapted the recipe a smidge and the result is this wonderful quesadilla. With just 5 ingredients this lunch for 1 takes 5 minutes to prepare and 5 too cook. 

Ingredients 


- 2 tortilla wraps
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/3 yellow pepper
- 1/3 green pepper
- Handful grated cheddar

Method

1. Finely chop your pepper and tomato and grate your cheese

2. In a dry non-stick frying pan, place one tortilla in and lay the peppers and tomato on. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.



3. Place the other tortilla on the top and cook on a medium heat for 2 and a half minutes. Then flip the whole thing over and cook for the same amount of time on the other side. 

4. Lift the quesedilla out of the pan, cut in to quarters and serve!





Some people like to fry their quesadillas in oil but I think this makes then too greasy. By dry frying them like this you are left with a crispy outside and a gloriously oozy filling.

This is such a simple recipe and I love that it feels like I'm eating pizza, when actually I'm eating lots of salady bits and actually being rather healthy. A perfect lunch and a big success! 

2 comments:

  1. I had something very similar to this yesterday, just replaced the tomato with onions, added 1/8 teaspoon of cumin and some garlic. Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely! I will have to try and incorporate a little spice next time myself :) x

      Delete