Friday, 16 May 2014

The Liebster Award

 

Hi everybody, a very happy Friday to you! I'm doing a blog post with a difference today. I'm very excited because I have just been informed that I've been nominated for my first ever award! 

First of all I want to say a big thank you to Peachy over at The Randomness of Unicorns for nominating me for this award - it was a totally unexpected and lovely surprise!

So to accept my nomination I have a few fun challenges to complete...

The rules...

I thank the blogger who tagged me
Say 11 facts about me
Answer the 11 questions written by the person who tagged me
Write my own 11 questions
Tag 11 up and coming bloggers


11 facts about me
- I'm a Yorkshire girl living down South
- I started dancing at the age of 3. I did Tap, Modern Jazz, Character (look it up!!), 2 types of Ballet and got to Intermediate level
- I am pretty good at illustration. When I was younger people thought I should become an artist
- I love Shakespeare so much that I was accepted to do a Masters degree at the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-Upon-Avon, but I declined it because I wanted to study in Paris.
- I am very competitive, so much so that my parents joke(?) I should have gone in to the army!
- I love giving gifts and finding good presents
- I've lived and gone to university in Paris
- I almost did a Law degree but picked English Literature because of my love of books
- My biggest fear is being burgled after confronting a burglar in my house when I was 16
- I went to school in Doncaster with a certain member of the band One Direction 
- I won my university Come Dine With Me and fancy having a go at winning the real thing!

11 Questions to answer
1. What does blogging bring to your life?
Most importantly blogging brings me joy. For me blogging is a way of sharing my experiences, recommendations and encourages me to get off my butt and do things/make things/go interesting places! Blogging is making me a better writer and I also like that I am part of a wider community of bloggers - getting a comment from another blogger is the best feeling! It's lovely that people read my blog and tell me they like my writing style, but even if not one person viewed it I'd still carry on because I love writing about and reflecting on my adventures. 

2. Are you religious? If not what do you believe in?
Oh boy, what a question to be asked! Like with most tricky subjects, I tend to steer clear of broaching this issue with people unless I know them very well (with people I'm close to, I go for it)...but seeing as you're asking! No, I'm not particularly religious. I was Christened but I haven't been to church in years, and to be truthful there have been many moments in my life where I've found it hard to believe that there is a God. Having said that, I don't really think you can argue with fundamental rules of Christianity, ie. no killing, no stealing, and try and help people out if you can. If you try to live life by those rules, I don't think you can go too far wrong. Oh and even though you might have your questions or doubts try not to give someone else a hard time for what they believe in - concentrate on being true to you. Follow your own arrow and just try and be a good person :)

3. Name 1 thing you have done, outside of your comfort zone in the last year.
Living in Paris! This was haaaard. Especially studying there and trying to find accommodation all on my own. It has improved me as a person though - sadly not in the French language sense because pretty much every Parisian is fluent in English and isn't afraid to show it! But I have realised I am more resilient than I thought. Living alone in a foreign city takes guts but I'm glad I did it. 

4. Where do you go when you need to clear your head?
I pop on my trainers and get my jog on. In my opinion exercise time is 'me time'. It gives me a moment to myself to think things through. And you always feel so much better after a run.

5. Name a book that has meant a lot to you and explain why.
I recently did a post called 'The Books That Changed My Life' and said that To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite book. This is still 100% true, but another book that has meant a lot to me is the last book we read as a class in primary school - 'Goodnight Mr Tom'. I remember reading this and when we were told it was hometime the whole class protesting and asking for one more chapter, one more page. You can't get a children's novel better than this.

6. What song reminds you of Summer?
'All This Love' by The Similou. I hard this song for the first time back in 2006 and I've loved it ever since. It just sounds like summer and freedom! Also 'Inner Smile' by Texas which reminds me of lying by the pool in the sun. Or 'It Wasn't Me' by Shaggy which brings back memories of Tunisia 2001 and the time our kids club rep got us all chanting "It Wasn't Me!!!" back to her as she sang lead vocals. I was 9 and my brother was 10 and it is still funny.

7. Do you believe in the Law of Attraction?
Not going to lie, I had to google this to make sure I knew what this was..! Ok so it's the theory that if you focus on thinking positive or negative thoughts, you will get positive or negative results accordingly. Abso-bloody-lutely! I am a big believer in the theory that we choose our own destiny, and that encompasses the choice to be happy or let things get to you, no matter how big or small. We forge our own paths and it's up to us to make things happen for ourselves. 

8. What are your favourite type of shoes?
Ooh tough one! I like to have a good selection to choose from to suit the occasion but at the moment I'm loving my little red Vans. They're pretty, they're comfy, they're preppy, they're awesome!

9. If you could have your hair any colour what would it be?
Like every other girl I had a phase of messing around with my hair colour. Blonde highlights, everyone? Yeah it was fun and made me feel grown up at the age of 13, but man it was expensive! And it made my hair really dry and straw-like once I'd straightened it twice a day aswell (why did I do that?!) So now I think au natural is best for me. I actually forgot what my hair colour was for a time. I always looked at it as a boring mousey colour, but actually now I've let it shine through it's a kinda deep reddy brown. I'll be sticking with the natural look for the time being.

10. What keeps you going if ever you feel like quitting? Or your faith wavers?
We all get fed up and feel down from time to time. I certainly have had my ups and downs in life and sometimes have felt quite lost. In those times I rely on a very supportive circle of family and friends to guide me through tricky patches, but I also summon up some good old-fashioned will-power. I don't give up easily and if I start something I try my very best to see it through. I think of the sense of achievement that will be there for me at the end and that normally does the trick.

11. What do you love about where you live?
I've been very lucky to live in some very interesting places. I'm from Yorkshire, I did my first degree in Birmingham, I've lived in Paris, but at the moment my base is in Canterbury. Canterbury is a very special place with a rich history, but what I love the most about it is that it is such a lovely place to be. It's an English city to be proud of with lots of places to walk, to see, do, eat, relax, learn. It's a vibrant place with a vibrant population who are going places and doing things. 

My 11 questions
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. If you could meet any person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
3. What is your favourite quote?
4. Which film could you watch and rewatch and never get bored of?
5. Who was your first celebrity crush?
6. Do you say a particular word a lot?
7. What do you feel has been your biggest achievement in life so far?
8. What keeps you going if ever you feel like quitting? How do you keep positive?
9. If there was a movie of your life, which actor would you like to portray you in it?
10. If you could travel back in time what piece of advice would you have liked to give your younger self?
11. What are 3 of your future goals?


And finally, my nominations!

Ellenor at Champagne Lifestyle on a Tea Budget
Georgia at Brew Up Buttercup
Jessica at Orange Chic
Maria at Ria's Ideas
Danielle at The Danielle Diaries
Emily at Emily's Elixir
Lorilee at Lorilee's London
Stephanie at Peplum and Coffee
Natalie at The Blonde Ethos
Kirsty from Just Like Heaven
Shelley at The Shelley Diaries



2 comments:

  1. Your answers at fabulous! Thank you for being such a great nominee!

    I am now following you on Twitter!

    Stay in touch, lots of love, Peachy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lovely!
    I am finally here and going to reply to this post! thank you so much for nominating me!

    Lorilee

    xxx

    ReplyDelete