Monday, 26 May 2014

Wicked



I had one last birthday present coming my way, and I was very very very excited for this one. On Friday night I was whisked away to London's Apollo Victoria Theatre to see my first ever West End show, Wicked!

The whole lead up to the show was perfect and we left just the right amount of time to get to where we needed to be, get food, get excited and more importantly relax. Being a Friday night there was an amazing atmosphere anyway and it was so good to be a part the London buzz.

The theatre looks amazingly shimmery and sparkly, and it's literally just over the road from London Victoria rail station, so the perfect place really! I felt very confident with letting my boyfriend lead the way the whole time as this was his third time seeing the show, and I just happily followed along taking in all the city sights and weaving through the crowds.








I've been waiting to christen my Cath Kidston Mushroom dress for ages and ages and I feel like this occasion suited it perfectly. I got so many compliments and loved wearing it, I will be wearing it out more often from now on for definite.

The inside of the theatre is so cool and as soon as you step foot inside the foyer everything is so green! When you go expect witches hats and cauldrons and all sorts of other awesome witchy related merch.





Inside the theatre itself the stage design is beautiful. I loved the glowing map of the kingdom on the stage curtain and of course the mahoosive dragon that spreads its wings across the whole stage is amazing.





I won't tell you too much at all about the actual story itself just in case you haven't seen it yet, but I'll just tell you what I knew prior to seeing the show. The story runs parallel to the classic Wizard of Oz story and tells the story of Elphaba and Glinda (the Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch of the North, respectively). It's funny, it's uplifting, it's intriguing but more to the point it's heartfelt and leaves you feeling a lot warmer towards the so-called Wicked Witch of the West whilst shedding a different light on a number of other central characters of the Oz story. I loved hearing the tale from these different perspectives!

The show is a visual and and audial treat and it was so cool finally hearing the songs I know so well from the show in action. It was so well cast and no-one put a foot wrong. I never thought I was much of a musical fan but if other musicals are as good as this one I would love to see more of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment