Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Sweet Chilli Sauce

I am a massive fan of sweet chilli sauce, and I know I'm not alone on this. It makes its way in to my meals probably at least once or twice a week at the moment. It's delicious and so versatile - drizzled over baked salmon, in a chicken stir fry, or at the moment I'm loving dipping little prawn crackers in to it for a light snack as a treat. 

I can get through a bottle of Blue Dragon fairly quickly, and with the help of my boyfriend (who introduced me to it!) we really do go for it.

I was browsing through Frugal Feeding, one of my favourite foodie blogs, and I found a recipe for homemade sweet chilli sauce. It had never really occurred to me to make my own before, I don't know why but it seemed like a lot of faff. But when Nick said that his simple recipe would taste just as good for 1/4 of the cost of a bought bottle, I had to try making my own, with a few very minor adjustments.

This recipe takes 20 mins to make, and it makes one small jar of sauce, but it can easily be doubled. 

Ingredients

200ml water
2 red chillies, I like to keep the seeds in but they can be taken out if you prefer
2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp corn flour

Method

1. Roughly chop the chillies and peel the garlic. Blend the water, chillies, garlic and sugar together in a food processor, or I used a hand blender. Transfer this mixture, which should be a bit chunky, in to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Then reduce and simmer for 5 mins.


2. Next, add the corn flour which should be mixed with a little bit of water to make a roux. Stir through the mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes before taking off the hob and allowing to cool. 


3. Once cool, transfer the sauce to a jar and refrigerate. On the off chance that the sauce gets a bit too thick and jelly-like, just add a tiny bit more water without reheating. 


And there you have your own lovely jar of homemade sweet chilli sauce! You can thank me later.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, this is worth trying. My boyfriend gets through LOADS! How long will it last for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely worth trying! It's a little less thick than shop bought sauces but I put this down to it having 10 times less sticky sugar in there. I made this nearly 2 weeks ago and stored in the fridge it's still good

      Delete