Thursday, 10 July 2014

Banana Bread


Today I'm taking it back to basics with a recipe for what I believes makes the perfect banana bread. This is a classic and it's loved by banana lovers and haters everywhere. Neither me or my boyfriend really like bananas but he actually asked if we could make this together! Overripe 'nanas are best to use in this recipe and as neither of us eat them we bought 2 just to let them go black. 

This recipe is taken from Mary Berry's Baking Bible and it hits the spot every time. So to make perfect banana bread you will need...

Ingredients

100g/3.5 oz softened Unsalted Butter or Stork
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
2 Large Eggs
2 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp Milk
Sprinkle of Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/Fan 160c/Gas 4
2. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin (standard loaf tin) and line with baking parchment
3. Cream together the butter and sugar. 


Then gradually incorporate one egg followed by a bit of flour, until it is all mixed in and you have a smooth batter.


4. Mix in the banana, milk, baking powder and a spinkling of spices.



And blend well until it looks something like this.


5. Spoon the mixture in to the tin and level the surface. 


6. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 1 hour, until well risen and golden brown. A skewer inserted in to the middle should come out clean when inserted in to the centre when the loaf is ready. 

7. Leave to cool slightly, then turn out on to a wire cooling rack and peel the parchment away.


This is so easy to make and so yummy. My boyfriend and I managed to polish this off between us in one day! If I know I'm having visitors I love to rustle one of these up to have with a nice cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment