Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Green Space


City life is brilliant, but the mark of a really lovely city is whether it has parks and green spots to retreat to for a moment to breathe. Canterbury is a beautiful place for many reasons with lots and lots of history. I love living here and exploring it's special spots.



Monday night was date night so me and the boy met up in Canterbury and took a sunny early evening stroll about the Dane John gardens. It's one of his favourite places and it's easy to see why. 



According to the website the gardens date back to 1551; 'the city walls and an avenue of lime trees provide Dane John gardens a sense of enclosure and escape from the busy road and bustling shopping centre just a few yards away'. It's what a public city garden should be: clean, pretty and calm. The flower beds are gorgeous, and there's even a big man-made grassy mound to climb up which gives you amazing panoramic views of Canterbury, and you can spot my Uni on the top of the opposite hill.


I imagine it'd be perfect for a lunch break retreat and after work or Uni relax. Or in the case of when I went, a little pre-dinner stroll. 

If you live in or around Canterbury I'd love to hear any recommendations of places to visit :)

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember if I've recommended it before on this blog or another Kent student's but the scones from Tiny Tims are my favourite in the world! Also, for a summer's day, get the train to Ramsgate, head to the coast and walk along until you get to Broadstairs and then Cliftonville - take a picnic or stop off at Miles, Peens or Wyatt and Jones in the various towns. Margate is a beauty too (it's my hometown!) I'll recommend more things when I get back in a couple of weeks and start sniffing out the new developments xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua : Life in Italy

    ReplyDelete