Thursday, 7 August 2014

Chocolate Marble Cake


I've just returned to Uni after a couple of lovely relaxing weeks at home. I'm happy to be back because I love Canterbury but also sad to leave my family behind and because I had such a lovely time.

I fitted loads in to my 2 week visit and it almost feels as though I've been away on holiday. I had my lovely friend Becky to stay who I haven't seen in a year, went to 3 family parties, caught up with my cousins, had my boyfriend to visit for a week and celebrated both my Mum's and my Dad's birthdays. 

The cake I want to share with you today was the one I made for my Dad's birthday in July, and it went down so well my Mum requested it for her birthday also. 

It's a gorgeous dark and white chocolate marble cake with silky smooth chocolate marbled icing too. It's a real special occasion kind of cake so perfect for birthdays and celebrations.

Ingredients

For the sponge:
170g/6oz softened unsalted butter or Stork
170g/6oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
120g/4oz plain flour
90g/3oz ground almonds
100g/3.5oz white chocolate
100g/3.5oz dark chocolate

For the icing:
100g/3.5oz white chocolate
100g/3.5oz dark chocolate
300ml extra thick double cream
100g/3.5oz unsalted butter

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c. Gently melt the white and dark chocolate in the microwave (in seperate bowls) on a low heat and set aside to cool. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Seperate the eggs by letting the white slip in to a seperate bowl and drop the yolks one by one in to the creamed mixture. 

2. Incorporate the flour a little bit at a time, stirring well after each addition. Once all the flour is added stir in the almonds.


3. Whisk the reserved egg whites with and electric hand whisk until they form stiff white peaks. Gradually fold this in to the cake mixture, taking great care not to knock the air out. 

4. Divide the mixture equally between 2 bowls and carefully incorporate the melted chocolate. 



5. Line a 6in cake tin and using a metal spoon blob a spoonful of each mixture in.


Using a skewer or a long pointy object, swirl this around to create a marbled effect.


6. Bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.


To make the icing, simply melt the white and dark chocolate in separate bowls with half the butter and cream in each. When the cake and icing are completely cool, use the same blob and swirl technique to fill the cake and top it. 

Finish with a dusting of cocoa powder and it's all done! 



Serve hot or cold with a scoop of good quality vanilla ice cream. 
Heavenly!


No comments:

Post a Comment